Low Platelet count
It is the presence of platelets in the blood that stops the bleeding if any occurs in the body. Decreased platelet count can increase the risks of excessive bleeding in children.
The ideal platelet count is somewhere in the range of 150,000 and 300,000.
Step by step instructions to perceive on the off chance that there is a low platelet count:
In the event that your youngster has a low platelet count, it tends to be perceived by the accompanying signs,
- Small, red pinpoint on the skin
- Excessive bleeding from the gums, nose, or in the central venous access device that does not stop even after applying pressure for about 5-10 minutes.
- The stools and vomit will be black indicating that there is blood in the stomach or the bowels.
Kids having low platelet count are exhorted not to play physical games like football or running and ought to just utilize delicate toothbrushes to clean their teeth to forestall bleeding in the gums.
In the event of a nosebleed, causes them to sit upright and apply strain to the exterior of every nostril and not just on the scaffold. The region ought to be squeezed with the thumb and the pointer and the strain ought to help for around 10 mins. On the off chance that the bleeding doesn’t stop and still, at the end of the day, call your kid’s medical care supplier right away.
In the event that your youngster has a low platelet count, watchfulness ought to be practiced to not permit your kid to encounter any unforeseen bleeding or swelling. An enema or a suppository should not be given as never test their rectal temperature.
Aspirin or ibuprofen should not be given unless instructed so by your physician. Some of these medications do not allow the platelets to perform their function efficiently thereby not allowing the clots to form, before you give your child any medication, consult the healthcare team.
What is Low Platelet Count (Bleeding)
Blood platelets also called by the name thrombocytes are cells that are important for clotting the blood thereby preventing excessive bleeding. A condition where there is a low platelet considered is known as thrombocytopenia. The blood clotting function does not happen naturally when the platelet count is less. The count level that is viewed as low for a platelet count is not entirely settled by your primary care physician. In case the child is experiencing low blood platelet count, there will be a pause or delay in the treatment or the dosage amount of the medications used will be reduced. A blood test will be taken to determine the number of blood platelet levels in the blood.
What causes low platelet count?
The decreased number of platelets in the body can be because of the body not creating an adequate number of platelets, or due to them being obliterated. In patients having disease, less platelet count is expected.
Specific kinds of tumors like leukemia or lymphoma, these people are at a higher risk of having a reduced number of platelets
Treatments that are provided for cancer such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy can put them at risk of losing play. Combination medications for chemotherapy are also a contributing factor.
In specific cases, the proteins present in one’s body called antibodies assault and obliterate the platelets.
Presence of any other health conditions that have no relation to cancer.
What are the side effects of low platelet count
Assuming you start to see the underneath referenced side effects it implies that your platelet levels are going down,
- Awful migraines, tipsiness, or obscured vision
- Ladies might have weighty vaginal bleeding
- Shortcoming that deteriorates
- Red pinpoint spots on the skin, typically beginning on the feet and legs
- New unexplained injuries on the skin
- Pain in joints or muscles
- Dull or dim earthy colored spit or regurgitation
- Red, pink, or earthy-colored pee
- Radiant red, dim red, or dark stools
- Bleeding from the mouth, nose, or rectum
In the event that you experience any of the previously mentioned side effects, call your medical services supplier right away.
Cancer patients experiencing low platelet count are given a platelet bonding. This is done so the expansion in the number of platelets in the blood can diminish the bleeding. That is immediately administered if the patient has any unusual symptoms that need to be stopped.
Before a patient is eligible for transfusion, the sample of the patient’s body is analyzed thoroughly. The same procedure is done for the donor too. They should be correctly matched and the platelets are screened only after being considered safe after the transfusion is done. sometimes receiving a transfusion and have certain risks such as
This occurs because of the patient’s insusceptible framework going after the proteins of the unfamiliar platelets. It can seem to be an unfavorably susceptible response. These actions are mostly minor and can be treated efficiently but sometimes they can be quite serious and dangerous.
Transfusion-related lung injury is one of the more serious dangers. It causes breathing trouble and can be treated only in the hospital.
Exposure to certain germs such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C or HIV. However, the efficient screening process during modern times has greatly reduced the likeness of such infections.
On the off chance that you have a low platelet count, you can converse with your primary care physician about it and what choices could turn out to be best for you. Remember to follow the beneath referenced techniques in the event that you have a low platelet count,
- Try not to utilize an edge razor for shaving. Utilize just electric ones
- Physical games like wrestling, boxing, and football ought to be kept away from in light of the fact that there are high possibilities of fostering a physical issue or chance of falls.
- Safeguard your skin from cuts, sharp items, and scratches
- Utilize only delicate toothbrushes
- In cases, your mouth is bleeding use only an ice eater and rinse it a few times
- Flossing your teeth should be done only after consulting your doctor
- Do not forcibly blow through your nose
- The bowel movement should not be strained. A stool softener should be used. Enemas and suppositories should not be used as per the wish of the patients without proper medical guidance. You need to consult with your healthcare team before you start using any other laxatives
Keep away from the use of calming torment drugs like headache medicine, naproxen, or ibuprofen, and compare different meds except if prescribed by your medical services group to do as such. If you need to use it, check with your healthcare professional whether the drug that you intend to take belongs to that class or whether the ingredients are present.
If you start to bleed. Do not move; sit down, relax, and ask for help
Assuming you have any uncommon or profuse bleeding that doesn’t stop, call our medical services group right away.
Role of caregivers during the entire process:
The environment in which the patients should always be friendly and free from anything that might cause the injury
If the patient is experiencing a nosebleed, ask them to sit up and tilt their head forward so that the blood does not drip down the back of their throat. Ice should be placed and their nostrils should be pinched shut for 5 mins. Placing an ice pack on the back of their neck also helps,
In the event that bleeding happens in some other part of the body, apply strain on the region with a clean cloth, a sear wash towel or paper fabric assuming still the bleeding stops.